Snow in the South

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

On the way to work this morning, I came across a fresh dead deer in a spot that Brandon had bumped a deer within the first week of our move.

On the way home from work, they had cleaned up the deer from where I saw it this morning. As I came around the curve, I saw a white-tailed doe jump into the woodline. She stopped and listened. I’m sure she was listening to my deer whistle.

I told Brandon about it and he said that he saw a deer on Hwy 97 before he turned onto our road coming home.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Nothing to report today.

Friday, January 22, 2016

After I picked up the kids from school, I headed to Valdosta so I could spend the night at my parents’ house so my mom and I could go yard saling on Saturday. While Brandon waited on me to get to Valdosta, he went and bought an inversion table to help with his back/hip problem.

After we ate dinner, my parents, Brandon, and I started planning our vacation that we will be taking during the summer. I don’t like to put it out there on social media sites where and when we will be on vacation. So, I can’t really tell you where we will be going. But, it’s going to be epic! That’s about all I can say about it for now. I’m super excited and can’t wait for it to get here!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Mom and I had looked at the weather last night and we knew that it was going to be a cold one. There weren’t very many yard sales listed in the paper but most of the time we find tons of yard sales that aren’t listed. We didn’t expect to have too many today with the cold weather. The first yard sale that we hit up was awesome. We would ask about an item and then set it down. Then the lady would start coming off of her prices again and again….to the point, we just had to get them. By the last yard sale that we went to, we saw snow flurries. That’s about as close to snow as we will probably get down here in the south. If you look really hard, you can see snow flurries on my mom’s windshield. LOL


We did so good today. I have tons of things to add to the booth next week.

My son, Deegan, stayed last night as well so that he could help my dad work on some things. When we were done yard saling, I picked up Deegan and headed home. We made a pit stop in Quitman at an estate sale and Deegan got a big cardboard picture of a space shuttle. Then, we stopped at Publix in Thomasville to grocery shop.

By the time I got home, Brandon had just about finished re mortaring the brick back on the fireplace. However, he ran out of mortar so he didn’t get to completely finish it. But, he did enough that we are going to be able to have some fires. I’m so proud of my man! He has so many talents and if it weren’t for him, this house would have been a money pit!


In the midst of him finishing the fireplace, I started laundry and cleaned the dishes. Brandon started a fire when he was through cleaning up all that mortar. After all of that, we were able to just chill. Something we haven’t really done lately.

We made dinner and watched Antman with the kids. If you haven’t seen it, you should. It was pretty good.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

After lunch, Brandon and I went outside to try and finish the new chicken area. On Friday, Brandon bought some 2 inch chicken wire that was 8 ft tall and 150 long. So, we had to take down the two different sizes that we had started to put up last weekend and put up the new chicken wire. After that, he added 1 inch chicken wire 3 ft tall to the bottom all the way around to help with critters. Then we added some 1x4s around the base. We will be adding some to the top as well later.


While he was doing that, I went and got the youngest chicken out and put her in the new area. She is bearded and has feathers on her feet. She is our sweetest hen. The others like to pick on her.


Brandon screwed some small trees that he cut down previously to some trees inside the area to give them a roost.


We had to make the other chickens an area detached from the coop so that we could move it. We just made the lattice into a triangle.


Now the fun part! We get to move the coop. Brandon used the tractor and some chain to pull it towards the new area.


Move 1



When he moved it, I saw a mouse run towards the coop back under it.

Move 2 consisted of a post pinned between the coop and the tractor and Brandon scooted the coop back on the left side. I didn’t take pictures because I was the one pinning the post between the coop and the tractor, all the while hoping Brandon doesn’t pin me between the coop and the tractor.

Move 3

Brandon then hooked the chain to the front right corners and pulled it.



I kept seeing the mouse come out and go back under the coop. I finally was able to get close enough to take a picture of it. It was so tiny.

Far Away Pic


Close Up Pic


End of Move 3


Move 4 Take One

We hooked the chains to two corners and tried to pull it but it wouldn’t move.


Move 4 Take Two

We tried to push it about 3 feet towards the chicken pen and it wouldn’t budge.


Move 4 Take Three

Then, Brandon tried backing the tractor up to it and push it that way (we added some boards under the other side) and it still wouldn’t move.


So, it was getting dark and we decided to just leave it for tonight.

We went inside and started a fire, cooked some dinner and watched Mad Max Fury Road. I don’t care for movies like that but I watched it with him. The kids were upstairs playing. Definitely, not a kid-friendly movie. 🙂



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s